Absentee Ballots for Permanently Disabled and Specially Qualified Voters

Permanently Disabled Voters
A voter who is permanently disabled need not submit a request for an absentee ballot every election. If such a voter submits a note from a registered physician indicating that he is disabled permanently, the Town Clerk will send an application for an absentee ballot twenty-eight days before every election. The application will be as complete as the Town Clerk can make it and the voter in most cases only will have to sign the application and return it. Upon the Town Clerk's receipt of the signed application, the voter will be sent an absentee ballot.

Specially Qualified Voters
In addition to registered voters, certain "‘specially qualified voters" may vote by absentee ballot. A “specially qualified voter" is a person who is a Massachusetts citizen, living outside of the United States, who is at least eighteen years old and whose last residence in the United States was Massachusetts. You also may be a "specially qualified voter" if you are otherwise eligible to be a registered voter and your present domicile (a place where you live and plan to remain) is Massachusetts and you are: out of the Town because you are in the active service of the armed forces or merchant marine of the United States, or a spouse or dependent of such person absent from the Commonwealth; or confined in a correctional facility or jail.