The history provided here is taken from the 1998 Historical Properties Survey prepared for the Bolton Historical Commission by Anne McCarthy Forbes, Preservation Consultant. That work was, in turn, based on an earlier inventory of properties prepared by Esther K. Whitcomb.
The index shown below provides quick links to articles describing each era of Bolton's history.
- Contact and Plantation Periods (1500 - 1675)
- First Settlement Period (1676 - 1738)
- Colonial Period (1739 - 1775)
- Federal Period (1776 - 1830)
- Bolton Reconnaissance Report
- Early Industrial Period (1831 - 1872)
- Late Industrial Period (1873 - 1914)
- Early Modern Period (1915 - 1945)
- Late Modern Period (1945 - present)